Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After Fire Damage
After you experience fire damage in your property, you might not be sure what to do. Your first step should be to call an emergency restoration and cleanup company!
If you experience fire damage or smoke odor damage, our team at SERVPRO of The Saint Croix Valley are available 24/7/365, even on holidays, to help you restore and cleanup your fire damaged property. We have the knowledge to properly restore the affected areas and clean up any smoke or soot damage in a timely manner. Our team has experience cleaning up:
- Grease fire damage
- Electric fire damage
- Material fire damage
- Metallic fire damage
- Gas fire damage
Our team at SERVPRO of The Saint Croix Valley has experience with different types and sizes of fire damage. This team is trained to handle any disaster, and we will make sure the soot, smoke and debris are cleaned up quickly from your property.
A Few Tips After Damages
While you wait for our emergency services, read below for some tips on how to get the cleanup process started.
Please prioritize safety before reentering the damaged property. Wait until your local fire department has given the "all clear" to get started.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (715) 381-2266
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.